Press release date: 21st July 2015
Staycations are becoming increasingly popular as more and more people are appreciating the wealth of beauty and culture on our doorsteps here in Ireland.
From the stunning Wild Atlantic Way to the breath-taking Giant’s Causeway and all the fun-filled cities and towns in between, there are plenty of gorgeous areas to be proud of.
Getting out and about is a huge part of enjoying your getaway but it’s important not to underestimate the Irish summer. To ensure you stay healthy and safe, Tropical Medical Bureau have compiled a list of top ten tips for staycations.
1. If you are lucky enough to get good weather always wear sun cream, even if it appears overcast outside. No one likes the lobster look!
2. Drink plenty of water to keep your heart and muscles working efficiently, as well as reducing your chances of getting sunstroke.
3. Give your kids some child-safe headphones so they can enjoy music and games in the backseat on Sunday drives. Tasty travel pops will ensure they don’t suffer from car sickness.
4. Pick up a decent insect repellent to avoid nasty bites. TMB have a variety of high-qualityrepellents and bug bands to keep bugs at bay.
5. Never drink before going swimming as this can lead to serious issues such as disorientation, difficult breathing and hypothermia.
6. Invest in a decent waterproof case to keep your smart phone completely dry when you’re at the beach or an outdoor pool.
7. If you’re having a barbeque make sure you cook food thoroughly and store perishable foods in a cooler bag to avoid food poisoning.
8. Heading to one of the fantastic Irish festivals this year? Pace yourself when it comes to drinking as consuming large amounts of alcohol in the sun puts you at risk of accidents.
9. Don’t be surprised if you experience a freak shower or sudden change in weather. Always keep a jacket on you just in case.
10. Invest in a decent pair of boots in the right size and make sure you wear these in well before any hiking excursions.
For a full list of clinics visit the TMB website at www.tmb.ie/clinics
TMB insect repellents and bug bands are available at Dunnes Stores, Tesco and Lloyds Pharmacies.
For further information on vaccinations or to book an appointment, please contact the Tropical Medical Bureau on 1850 487674 or visit www.tmb.ie.
Phone: 083 1042620
Phone: 086 8583585
Phone: 086 0492394
Phone: 086 1806344