Winners of the Travel Media Awards 2016 sponsored by Blue Insurance
Press Release Date: 20th May 2016
The Travel Media Awards 2016, sponsored by Blue Insurance, took place today at the 5* Westbury Hotel, Dublin.
The event was organised by TravelMedia.ie and sponsored by Blue Insurance. The other award category sponsors were Amadeus, Shannon Airport, Dublin Airport, Great Lakes USA, London City Airport and Nassau Paradise Island.
Over 160 guests attended, including members of the travel trade and media. This year the ceremony was hosted by well-known travel journalists Fionn Davenport and Deirdre Mullins, who kept the crowd entertained throughout the day.
The Travel Media Awards are unique in that they are the only awards that call on members of the media to vote for their favourite travel companies. This year saw the introduction of three new media categories – Best Use of Video by an Irish Travel Blogger, Best New Irish Travel Blog and Travel Photo of the Year.
All voting was independently audited and managed by the Department of Tourism at DIT (Dublin Institute of Technology).
This is the sixth year the awards have taken place, having gone from strength to strength since 2011.
Michael Collins, MD of TravelMedia.ie, said, “Thank you to the travel media who took the time to vote for their favourite companies in the travel industry. It was great to see so many bloggers become involved in the awards this year, reflecting changes in the media over the past year. A special thank you to all of our amazing sponsors who helped make the day the great success that it was and of course to Alex Gibson and his staff at DIT, who ensured the voting process ran smoothly.”
Commenting on the awards, Ciaran Mulligan, MD of Blue Insurance said, “Well done to all the winners at the Travel Media Awards 2016. On behalf of everyone at Blue Insurance, we are delighted to receive the award for Best Travel Insurance Provider for the sixth consecutive year and truly appreciate the continued support from the Irish travel media and journalists. We are passionate about providing our clients and customers with great value insurance products as well first class customer service and this award is testament to the hard work of all the Blue Insurance team. I would personally like to congratulate Gerry Benson on winning the Lifetime Achievement Award, a well-deserved award for his many years of hard work and dedication to the travel trade. Finally, I would also like to thank the TravelMedia.ie team for hosting a wonderful afternoon.”
Please see the list of winners below:
- Best Short Haul Airline Europe – Aer Lingus
- Best Long Haul Airline Flying West – Aer Lingus
- Best Long Haul Airline Flying East – Emirates
- Best Airport Hotel – Cork International Hotel
- Best International Hotel Group – Red Carnation Hotels
- Best Non-Hotel Accommodation Provider – Airbnb
- Best Hotel Search Engine – trivago
- Best Cruise Company – MSC Cruises
- Best Ferry Company – Irish Ferries
- Best Canal or River Cruise Company – Uniworld Boutique River Cruises
- Best Car Hire Company – Hertz
- Best Tour Operator (operates primarily as a TO) – Sunway
- Best Online Travel Agent (OTA) – GoHop.ie
- Best Ski Operator – Crystal Ski Holidays
- Best Travel Insurance Provider – Blue Insurance
- Best City or Short-Break Destination – Lisbon
- Best Summer Destination 2016 – Spain
- Best Ski Resort – Pas de la Casa, Andorra
- Best Tourist Board or CVB (Convention & Visitors Bureau) – Spanish Tourism Office
- Best Use of Social Media by a Travel Company Operating in the Irish Market – lowcostholidays
- Best Use of Video by an Irish Travel Blogger – Niall Doherty, Disrupting the Rabblement – Cargo Ship Travel
- Best New Irish Travel Blog – Barfly, Gary Quinn
- Travel Photo of the Year (by an Irish travel writer/blogger/journalist/photographer) – Yvonne Gordon, Inle Lake, The Sunday Times
- Pleasure to Work With – Jim Murty, Irish Daily Mail
- Innovator of the Year – Jack Donaghy, Roomex.com
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Gerry Benson, Travelbiz.ie
To see photos from the awards visit the TravelMedia.ie Facebook page. Please feel free to tag, like and share with your friends. Professional photography from the event is available on request.
Parts of the event were also streamed live on the TravelMedia.ie Facebook page, you can watch them back here.
To catch up on all the action on the day check out our Twitter feed and the main event hashtag #TMevents.
Ph: +353 868583585
Ph: +353 83 1042620
Ph: +353 86 0492394
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TravelMedia_ie and on Facebookwww.facebook.com/TravelMedia.ie
This press release has been sent by TravelMedia.ie.