Press release date: 3rd June 2015
After a busy year of revision and hard work, many Leaving Cert students will be swapping their books for the beach and jetting off on a well-deserved holiday this summer.
Tropical Medical Bureau have compiled some top travel tips to ensure that students have an amazing getaway after their exams.
- Keep in touch with friends and family at home and let them know the address of your hotel or apartment.
- Don’t flash your cash. Keep your funds in a discrete money belt to reduce the risk of being pick-pocketed.
- Research your destination thoroughly and get all of the recommended vaccinations (and malaria tablets if necessary) before you travel.
- Make sure your passport is in date and won’t expire in the next six months. You don’t want to end up being turned away at the check-in desk!
- Protect your skin by packing plenty of sun cream and insect repellent.
- If you suffer from allergies make sure that your friends are aware and you have medication with you.
- Get decent travel insurance that will cover you in the unlikely event that something goes wrong or you become ill.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Use purification tablets in countries where it’s unsafe to drink the water.
- Check out the visa requirements for the countries you are visiting and pay a trip to the local embassy before travelling if necessary.
- If you have been to a TMB clinic for vaccines keep the TMB 24/7 helpline number on you at all times so you know exactly who to call if you have questions or concerns overseas.
Dr Graham Fry, Medical Director of TMB, has some special advice for young travellers, “Leaving Cert students get very excited about going on holiday but it’s important that they remember the health risks involved. The stress of continued study means, quite often, they are run down and more susceptible to illness. You really don’t want to ruin your well-deserved escape by getting sick. Prepare as much as you can before you go so you are in top form when you’re away.”
TMB’s fantastic Student Promotion Package includes a 10% discount on all vaccines, Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Tetanus and Diphtheria vaccines, an in-depth consultation (when two or more students attend at the same time), a malaria prescription where recommended, a €5 Travelshop.ie voucher and a 24/7 helpline service – all from just €115 per person.
To take advantage of this amazing offer, two or more students must attend at the same time, all with valid student cards.
For further information on vaccinations or to book an appointment, please contact the Tropical Medical Bureau on 1850 487674 or visit www.tmb.ie.
Phone: 083 1042620
Phone: 086 8583585
Phone: 086 0492394
Phone: 086 1806344
Follow us on Twitter on www.twitter.com/TravelMedia_ie or on Facebook on www.facebook.com/TravelMedia.ie.